Brazilian Legislation

Entrance Visas – Temporary Visa IV

A passport and an entrance visa is mandatory for all foreign visitors. The passport must be valid for the entire period of stay in the country, while visas usually granted to visiting students are the Student Visa (Vitem IV). These visas are obtained at the nearest Brazilian Embassy or Consulate in the student’s country of origin, before his/her arrival in Brazil.

The VITEM IV may be granted to foreigners who come to Brazil as a student and those who participate in sandwich programs with or without a scholarship. It will be valid for a maximum period of one year, which may be extended in Brazil for 30 days after its expiration date upon application to the DPMAF at the Federal Police.

The consular authorities may request the following documents:

• Passport;
• Letter of conditional acceptance from UENF;
• Proof of means of support;
• Proof of no prior criminal involvement or its local equivalent;
• International immunization certificate, if required;
• Health certificate, if required;

Registration with the Federal Police

Any person bearing temporary visas I, IV, or V must register at the Department of Federal Police in Campos dos Goytacazes within 30 days after entering Brazilian territory. After registration, a temporary foreign identity card will be issued.
To register with the authorities, you must present the following documents:

• Passport (original);
• Certified copy of passport;
• Student’s request for an entry visa;
• Two recent 3x4cm photographs, with a white background;
• Proof of payment of registration fees.

Address of the Federal Police in Campos dos Goytacazes (Visa for Foreign Students):

Rua Dr. Silvio Bastos Tavares, 330 (Shopping Boulevard) – Parque dos Rodoviários – Loja 13 P1
Phone: (22) 2732-8805
Office hours: Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Main Federal Police branch in Campos dos Goytacazes:

Rua Barão de Miracema, 158 – Centro
Phone: (22) 2726-8700. Request to speak to the Foreign Section (Setor de Estrangeiros).
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9 to 11 a.m. / 2 to 4 p.m.

Renewing the visa:

If the visa is to be renewed, the student must request it with the Federal Police at least 30 days prior to expiration by proving the renewal of academic ties with UENF.

Obtaining a CPF:

You can apply for a CPF (Brazil’s individual taxpayer registry number) either from your home country or in Brazil. To apply at a local consular service in your home country, follow the link (click here) for instructions.

To apply for a CPF number while in Brazil you need the following documents:
• Passport;
• Proof of address in Brazil (the address where your CPF card will be sent to);
• Birth or marriage certificate.

Note: It is necessary to present a document that contains the names of your parents. No copies are necessary, but all documents not in Portuguese must be translated by a sworn translator.

You can apply for a CPF at the local post offices (the CPF number will be created immediately) or branches of Banco do Brasil and Caixa Economica Federal (in this case, the CPF number may be created within one or two working days). After you apply for a CPF, you should go to the Receita Federal (Federal Revenue) to validate it (required for foreigner).

I) Go to the Central Post Office (Correios) in Campos dos Goytacazes to apply for a CPF (Address: Praça São Salvador, 53 – Centro – Phone: (22) 2724-3790) and;
II) go to the branch of the Receita Federal to validate your CPF number (Address: Av. Rui Barbosa, 975 – Centro – Phone: (22) 2101-8200 – Office hours: 7a.m. to 5p.m.).

Important Notes:

• Plan to come at least 2 weeks prior to the beginning of classes to have enough time for finding housing and registering with the Federal Police.
• Foreign students under Temporary Visa IV are not allowed to work during their stay in Brazil.
• Do not consider the possibility of changing visa upon arrival in Brazil. This is not allowed by the National Immigration Service.
• On receiving the foreign identity card, check if the data (full name, parentage, date of birth and nationality) are correct. If there is any mistake, request immediate correction at the same place to prevent future problems.
• All documents in a foreign language must be certified by the Brazilian consular authorities and officially translated to Portuguese in order to be valid in Brazil.